May 31, 2011
Disney's Dulce de Leche Empanadas With Pineapple
Dulce de Leche Empanadas With Pineapple
Servings: 2 dozen
14 ½ ounces Cream Cheese
6 ¼ ounces Butter, Unsalted
1½ cups Flour
1½ teaspoons Salt
1½ teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1. Place cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl and mix until combined.
2. In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon and mix well, then add to the cream cheese mixture and mix until the dough comes together (approximately two and a half minutes).
3. Take out the newly formed dough and flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour*.
4. Weigh out and portion 2 ounces of the dough and roll into small round balls.
5. Sprinkle a little flour on a cutting board and roll out/ flatten the dough with a rolling pin into circles about 3" in diameter. Reserve for fillings.
Cajeta and Pineapple Filling
1 14-ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Pineapple, fresh, cleaned, trimmed,
finely diced Zest of 1 orange
1. Place unopened can in a large pot and completely cover with water. Simmer just below a boil until milk is reduced. This will take about 3 hours to slowly reduce.
2. IMPORTANT: Make sure the can is completely submerged at all times - add water to the pot as needed as the water evaporates during this process.
3. Once milk is reduced, set aside for next steps.
4. With a sharp knife, cut the pineapple into small pieces (ideally a brunoise cut: julienned, then rotated 90 degrees and diced to make small squares) and set aside for next steps.
2 Ounces Dough, freshly rolled out
1 Tablespoon Pineapple filling
1 Tablespoon Condensed Milk mixture (Cajeta)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place 1 Tbsp. of pineapple filling on each circle of dough, add 1 Tbsp. Cajeta mixture to the pineapple and fold dough in half making a half moon. Then seal or crimp the dough on all open edges and place onto a small cookie sheet.
3. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Empanadas should be a nice golden brown. Allow to cool and serve warm.