Pressure Cooker Carnitas
Yield: 12-16 servings
- 1 4-5 lbs. pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat (outside only), cut into 1-1.5 inch "cubes"
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1.5 cups water
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Heat stove top pressure cooker over medium high heat. Brown meat on most sides, if possible.
- Add spices and mix.
- Add onions and mix.
- Add water and mix. Add the bone (from the pork shoulder) and push to the bottom.
- Cook at medium to medium high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Release pressure via the quick release method.
- If you want it crispy, continue below. Otherwise, serve immediately.
- Remove pork. Uncover and cook one hour to reduce cooking liquid.
- Set oven to broil.
- Transfer pork and cooking liquid to large baking sheet.
- Pull apart larger pieces with two forks, and then press pork into roughly uniform thickness.
- Place under broiler for 2-5 minutes until browned. Use a large, flat spatula to flip the pork and brown again for 2-5 minutes more.