This recipe also walks you through cooking and shredding the chicken, but if you already have some on hand or prefer another method, I'd love to hear it! Enjoy!
Chinese Chicken Salad
Yield: 8+ servings
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped and sliced
- 1 package maifun
- oil for deep frying
- 3 green onions, only the green parts, sliced
- 1/8 cup toasted almonds
- 1/16 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and season with some salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon of canola oil, and cook the chicken breasts top-side down until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip the breasts and add the water and additional salt to the water. Cover and simmer on low for 7-10 minutes, until cooked. Let cool slightly (at least 15 minutes) before shredding.
- Deep fry the maifun in batches until all are puffed up. Set aside on plates with paper towels.
- For the dressing, mix together the last 5 ingredients.
- When ready to serve, mix the chicken and lettuce together. Then add in the maifun, then the green onions, almonds, and sesame seeds. Finally, mix in the dressing.