Yield: 4 servings
- 4 bell peppers, tops removed, cored and seeded
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 12 ounces ground meat
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 5 ounces (about 1 1/4 cups) cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Boil 4 quarts of water with 1 tablespoon salt in a large pot. Cook peppers until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Remove and drain peppers with a slotted spoon or tongs.
- Add the rice to the pot and cook until tender, about 13 minutes. Drain rice and transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the ground meat, breaking it into small pieces until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer to the bowl with the rice.
- Add the tomatoes, 1 cup of cheese, the parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the oven to 350 F with the rack in the middle.
- In a 9-inch square baking dish, place the peppers cut side up. Divide the filling evenly among the peppers. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Bake until the cheese in browned and the filling is heated through, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.