March 09, 2010

Homemade Oat Milk

Yum

OK, so here's what we have for today: homemade oat milk. Whoa whoa, calm down. It's not that difficult. Trust me. Hey, I see you not trusting me there...that's right....get back here. Don't worry. We'll figure this out together.


That's better. So oat milk is easier to make and more nutritious than rice milk by far. For homemade rice milk you have to cook the rice and let it sit and blend and strain. It takes about 4+ hours of cooking to get it right - not something we want to do when oat milk is SO much easier. All oat milk requires is some oats, water, a strainer or cheesecloth, and a blender.

So step on up, folks, for the best homemade oat milk money can't buy. Once done, flavor it with vanilla or cocoa or whatever you like. And use it as an excellent substitute in recipes and for its creaminess. Enjoy!


Homemade Oat Milk

Total time: 12 hours
Yield: 4 cups
Ingredients
  • 4 cups hot water
  • 1 cup oats (any kind)
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat the 4 cups of water and add to oats in a container. Note: do NOT use boiling water.
  2. Let sit at least overnight in the fridge but for as long as two days.
  3. Blend oats and water together in a blender. Add another cup of water if you'd like it thinner.
  4. Strain the milk through a metal mesh strainer or one layer of cheesecloth. Note: this will make your cheesecloth harder to clean than when you used it for the yogurt.
Ta-da! That's all there is to it. How simple. Use within 5-7 days unless you like oat milk that's started to go a little bad (hey, to each his own).

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for this recipe! It is my milk of choice now, and so cheap to make! I do have a question, though, is there anything I can make with the oat chunks that are left after straining? Seems so wasteful to just toss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's delicious, right? And almost too ridiculously cheap compared to what's in the store. I suggest either heating it and eating it straight (like oatmeal), or add it to baked goods for some extra nuttiness, fiber, nutrition, etc. Let me know what you do with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just found your oat milk recipe, I made up a 4x batch for myself this week. I just drink it plain, I like the mild taste and thick mouthfeel.

    I used the left overs from a 1 cup of oats size batch to make peanut butter cookies and they really made them quite gummy, almost too much. They can make great egg substitutes but I need to experiment with the amounts more. I am going to use the leftovers from my quadruple batch to make some oat bran bread I guess, there is a big blob of it and I don't want to feed the compost... likely gonna be a double loaf recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be really great in some bread. Excellent idea. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this recipe with oat groats or rolled oats

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think this recipe would work just as well with irish-style, steel cut oatmeal?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipe should work with Irish steel cut oats. The long soaking time should take care of the extra firmness of the steel cut oats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice!
    Do you think this could be used in yogurt maker to make oat milk yogurts?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it could work in a yogurt maker, though with some modifications. First, the sugar that yogurt cultures eat (lactose) is not present in oat milk, so you would need to add some. Adding a bit of already-made yogurt might help with this.

    Also, instead of yogurt, you may have success with a kefir culture, with has a mixture of bacteria and yeast that traditionally help ferment cow milk.

    At any rate, I think there is a solution out there for making oat milk yogurt, and if you find out how to do it, please share!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry but i tried this and didn't like it at all. i'm not a big fan of oatmeal but LOVE Pacific Oat Milk and I'm trying to re-create it at home. THIS recipe does not do the trick, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If the oat milk you buy in the store is different, it may be because the company has added flavors and sweeteners to it. Take a look at the list of ingredients and add it to this recipe at the end, and that may be a solution. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for posting this recipe! Store bought oat milk has too many additives for my taste and is unreasonably priced, not to mention all those cartons. Yeah they're recyclable, but it seems like such a waste.
    Glad I read the comments, too; I was wondering about using the strained oats, and found the answer there.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you found it useful. Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I add 1/2 cup rolled oats and 4 cups water and sweeten with maple syrup and add a little salt and allspice and blend and strain into a large glass mason jar. I sometimes add a little ascorbic acid vitamin C to keep it up to a week in the cold part of the fridge. I give it a good shake before I pour a glass each morning for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can it be heated? Mine comes out slimy if I warm it up :( Is there anything I can do?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, it can be heated. Just be sure not to overheat it because it won't taste as good. Warm oat milk can bring out the sweeter notes of the milk.

    ReplyDelete