There are a lot of different options to work with here, which is the beauty of vegetable soup. Throw in leftover veggies, throw in whatever spices you want, add salt, and ba-da-bing! You're done. Enjoy.
Vegetable Soup from Scratch (without stock)
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: Serves 2
- 2-4 potatoes
- 1-3 carrots
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 bunch asparagus
- 1/2-1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed and chopped
- salt and various seasonings to taste
- examples: thyme, oregano, parsley, cumin, cajun, turmeric (will turn soup yellow), garlic powder, crushed red pepper, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, etc, etc, etc
- optional: wine (add a splash or two right before adding the water so the wine can loosen the flavor that's stuck to the bottom of the pot)
- optional: 1/2 cup rice
- In a large pot, grill/saute/poach onion, potatoes, and carrots - make sure the potatoes and carrots are cut small enough to cook quickly - until almost completely cooked.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding enough water to reach half way to 3/4 the top of the pot.
- Bring to a boil on high heat, then set to medium to low. Add salt and seasonings of your choice.
- When veggies are done, add any remaining veggies and test the broth. Does it need more salt or cumin or?
- When all veggies are done, test again, make final adjustments, turn heat off, and let sit for a minute.
- Serve as is or over rice if you wish.
Note: If it turns out you added way way too much salt, cutting a raw potato in half and tossing it in the pot will soak up a decent amount of sodium. Give it about 10-15 minutes to accomplish its job.