This is kind of a cheat (sort of). Sure, they'll taste like eggnog, but it's because there's eggnog in it. You could try making it taste like eggnog by just using rum and nutmeg flavors - though the proportions will be off. Eggnog is really easy to make too. It just takes some time. Ask me if you want to learn how.
If you're in a pinch, buy a store brand eggnog (though it will have lots of added sugar). These cookies come out kind of hard, so forewarn anyone who tries them that has sensitive teeth. The cool part is they look amazing and taste just like eggnog! And you get to use rum in the glaze. Yay! Enjoy.
Recipe courtesy of Cookie Recipes Online.
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup eggnog
1/2 cup finely crushed butterscotch candies
1 recipe eggnog glaze (below)
additional nutmeg to sprinkle on top
1. Mix together dry ingredients. Cut in butter until the pieces are the size of peas. Make a well in the center.
2. In a small bowl beat together the egg and eggnog until well mixed. Pour the eggnog mixture into the well and stir until moistened. Cover the dough and chill for at least 3 hours (not absolutely necessary).
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and lightly grease. Roll out the dough on a well floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Using cookie cutters in two sizes, cut out cookies. Cut out cookies with the large cutter first, and then cut out centers with the smaller cutter. Reroll the dough and continue to cut.
4. Place the cookies on the foil lined cookie sheet about 1 inch apart from each other. Sprinkle the crushed candies into the center of the cookies.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are firm and lightly golden brown. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 5 minutes.
6. Spread the tops with eggnog glaze and sprinkle with additional crushed candy and nutmeg if desired.
Mix 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon rum (depending on how liquidy you like your glaze, and 2 tablespoons eggnog.