The beauty of this recipe is that it's very flexible. Add a ton of beans...or not. Mix it up! I just want to make one warning though - the "jar of tomatoes" should really be a jar and not a can. Canned tomatoes contain bisphenol-A, "a synthetic estrogen that has been linked to ailments ranging from reproductive problems to heart disease, diabetes, and obesity." Here you can find a few other common foods to avoid and why. Just an fyi for all of us. Enjoy!
Crock Pot Turkey Chili
Total time: 5-8 hours
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion
- 2-3 kinds of beans
- 1 large jar (28-32 oz) crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt/pepper
- 1 medium jar (12-14 oz) tomato paste/sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- green chilies
- 1-2 cups corn
- 1/2 teaspoon various other seasonings, optional
- Chop onion and cook with ground turkey in pan with olive oil.
- Drain fat from turkey and onion and add to crock pot.
- Mix everything else in crock pot (optional to mash some of the beans to make thicker chili).
- Cook on low for 5-8 hours (crock pots vary).