(the one on the right has zucchini and bell peppers, and the one on the left has just zucchini)
The turmeric really gives this a nice color. So much more fun than a clear brine. The jars sealed perfectly too. I was almost flabbergasted at how easy this was.
I didn't have any cucumber to try this on, but there were some bell peppers and zucchini that needed to get used, so voila. The day after it was sealed, the zucchini tasted great, though the peppers weren't as flavored. On the third and fourth day, the zucchini starts to take in more of the vinegar I think, so maybe eat that first. The bell peppers, on the other hand, just keep getting better.
Adapted from Martha Stewart.
Fast Pickled Zucchini and Peppers
Yield: 3 1/2 cups
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1/2-1 bell pepper, cut into small strips
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon celery flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except the prepared veggies.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Arrange prepared vegetables in one or more jars.
- Pour hot brine into jar to completely cover vegetables and seal jar.
- Refrigerate until cool.