New York Street Cart Chicken and Rice
Yield: 6-8 servings
For the chicken:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/8-1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil For the rice:
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper For the white sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- salt and pepper To serve:
- 1 lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- For the chicken: Combine the lemon juice, oregano, coriander, garlic, and olive oil in a ziploc bag. Season the marinade to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Place the chicken in the bag. Turn the chicken to coat, seal the bag, and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours, turning occasionally to redistribute the marinade.
- Remove the chicken from the bag. Season with kosher salt and a lot of pepper. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it is lightly smoking. Add the chicken pieces and cook without disturbing until they are lightly browned on the first side, about 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 6 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Roughly chop the chicken into 1/2- to 1/4-inch chunks. Transfer to a medium bowl, add the marinade, cover, and refrigerate while you cook the rice and prepare the sauce.
- For the rice: Put rice in rice cooker. Add the turmeric and cumin. Add water to the suggested amount for 2 cups. Season with salt and pepper. Cook as normal.
- For the white sauce: In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, and 2 teaspoons black pepper. Season to taste with salt.
- To serve: Return the entire contents of the chicken bowl to the skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Pile the chicken on top of the rice and lettuce. Top with the white sauce. Serve immediately.