This is a delicious cake, perfect for the summer months when all we want to do is eat strawberries. It is light and goes well after a summer dinner. The addition of barley flour makes it even lighter and smoother. Don't worry if you don't have any though; it works just fine without.
If you have a regular pie pan, this will work fine. If you have a larger one or a deep dish one, either double or 1.5 times the recipe. Extra springiness! Enjoy!
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
Strawberry Summer Cake
Yield: 1 cake
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1.5 cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour (can swap half with barley flour)
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a pie pan.
- Whisk flour or flours, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl, beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk, and vanilla until just combined.
- Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.
- Pour into prepared pie plate. Arrange strawberries on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over the strawberries.
- Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on a rack.