So today it's two kinds of potatoes (purple potato and sweet potato) with carrots that were baked to soft, steaming perfection. Then mushrooms, red onions, green onions, and chives were sauteed with garlic over the flaming stove. And finally, as the dessert of the night, an elegant pear baked in its own juices - succulent and sweet. All paired with our favorite chenin blanc. Read on for more. Enjoy!
In the oven:
4 small to medium purple potatoes
2 sweet potatoes
pepper to taste
On the stove:
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 container of white mushrooms, sliced
3 stalks of green onions, chopped
a dozen chives, diced
2 teaspoons of Smart Balance spread
pinch or dash of garlic seasoning (no salt)
1. First, preheat the oven to 375 and wash the potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and pear, slitting the potatoes and sweet potatoes half way lengthwise (like a baked potato at a restaurant). Wrap each in aluminum foil (except the carrots together).
2. Place everything except the carrots in the oven for 45 minutes or until soft. Place the carrots in the oven after 20 minutes.
3. With 15 minutes left, in a pan melt half the Smart Balance and immediately add the red onion, cook until soft and translucent.
4. If necessary, add the remaining Smart Balance, and cook the mushrooms until soft and brown.
5. Add the garlic seasoning, green onions, and chives, and stir until heated thoroughly.
6. When the baked veggies are done, unwrap and pepper the purple potatoes. Separate onto plates and enjoy.
7. Set the baked pear aside to be heated up when you are ready for dessert. The soft, sweet warmth of the pear will melt in your mouth and remind you that sometimes the best things in life are simple, easy, and care-free.