Sinful Baked Mac and Cheese
Yield: 8-12 servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Gruyere, grated OR
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 1/2 pound macaroni or similar
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When it bubbles, add the flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- While whisking, slowly pour in the hot milk a little at a time to keep the mixture smooth. Continue whisking constantly until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, and 3/4 cups Gruyère (or 1/4 cup parmesan). Set the cheese sauce aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the macaroni until the outside of is cooked and the inside is underdone, 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain the macaroni. Stir the macaroni into the cheese sauce.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheeses over the top. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer the dish to a wire rack for 5 minutes to set, then serve.