This is such a powerful yet simple dish. The braising really tenderizes and brings out the flavor of the short ribs, like it does to so many other delicious dishes (e.g. Osso Buco). Serve this on its own, with potatoes, polenta, or, as pictured, risotto. Enjoy!
Red wine braised short ribs
Yield: 1 piece per serving
- 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- seasoned flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 14 oz. can plum tomatoes, broken up
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs de Provence
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Coat the shortribs with seasoned flour and brown in the oil.
- Remove from the pan and add the onion, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and carrots.
- Sauté another 5 minutes, add the wine, and reduce by half.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, and herbs. Cover and braise covered in the oven for 1 hour at 400 degrees then reduce the heat to 350 F, uncover, and continue cooking for another hour or until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.