Flourless chocolate cake
Yield: 16 servings
- 1 lb bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 9 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Butter a springform pan.
- Put the chocolate and butter into a stainless steel mixing bowl and heat over (but not touching) about 1 inch of simmering water until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl until pale yellow in color.
- Whisk the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form and fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the cake pan and bake until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it, about 20 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes, then remove sides of pan.