Pickled Green Tomatoes
Yield: 1 quart jar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 pound firm green tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1/4 tablespoon whole black pepper
- Sterilize the jar by submerging them in a boiling water bath.
- Add the garlic, dill seeds, and peppercorns to the jar.
- Thoroughly wash the tomatoes and slice them in quarters. Cut out all bad spots and the stem ends. Cram them in the jar leaving about 1/2" to 3/4" of space at the top.
- Make the brine by combining the vinegar, water, and salt in a non-reactive sauce pan or pot. Bring to a boil, and stir until all the salt is dissolved.
- Pour the hot brine over the tomatoes to within 1/4" of the top. Wipe the jar top, put the lids on and tighten. Age for at least 1 week in the refrigerator.