The same spent grains that were used to make the Liquid Oatmeal Cookie (Oatmeal Stout), the Spent Grain Bread, and the Spent Grain Muffins, are now being used in their greatest concoction yet - Spent Grain Veggie Burgers.
With the help of black beans and the flavors of soy sauce, garlic, and cumin, the most unique homemade veggie burger is born!
The ease with which this recipe comes together is so simple and only adds to the joy of savoring every bite. Enjoy!
Spent Grain Veggie Burger
Yield: 4 burgers
- 1/2 cup chopped onion, divided into two
- 1/2 cup spent grain, wet
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook half of onion with a dash of salt in a splash of water in a small pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add spent grain and cook, covered, over low heat 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in beans and soy sauce.
- Mash or food process spent grain mixture mixture, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and remaining onion until finely chopped.
- Form rounded 1/2 cups of mixture into 4 (3 1/2-inch-diameter) patties. Chill at least 10 minutes.
- Spray oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat, then cook patties, carefully turning once, about 8 minutes total.