Chicken Liver Pate
- 1 lb chicken livers, cleaned
- 1/2-1 stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup whiskey, cognac, or brandy
- In a large pan, melt 1/2 stick of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the chicken livers, 1 tablespoon of capers, the bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the livers are browned on the outside and still slightly pink on the inside, about 5 minutes.
- Add the whiskey and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated and the livers are cooked but still tender.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Take out the bay leaves.
- In a food processor, puree the liver mixture. If desired, add the remaining butter in pieces and blend. Add the other 1 tablespoon of capers. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Pack the pate into a bowl. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours.