The best part is that the recipe below can be tweaked to your liking. Don't like dates? Sub in raisins. Want to cut back on the honey? Go for it. Got a thing against peanut butter? Well then you're crazy and I just can't help you. Or use a nut/seed butter. The possibilities are endless! Enjoy!
Healthy Granola Bars
Yield: 16 servings
- 1 cup dates
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roasted
- 1/2 cup peanuts, roasted
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- Soak dates in water for 10 minutes.
- Process dates in a food processor until small bits remain (about 1 minute). It should be able to roll into a ball, with a dough consistency.
- Toast the oats at 350 F in the oven until slightly golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Place oats, nuts, and dates in a bowl.
- Warm honey and peanut butter in a small pan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates.
- Once mixed, transfer to an 8x8 or 7x11 dish lined with parchment paper.
- Press down until uniformly flat. Cover with parchment paper, and let set in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to harden.
- Remove bars from pan and chop into 16 bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or wrapped up in the freezer.